TEMPLE OF POSEIDON FOR SUNSET WITH A PRIVATE DRIVER
At the southernmost point of Attica, about 70 kilometres or 43 miles from the centre of Athens, lies the Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounio, erected in the middle of the 5th century BC to honour Poseidon, god of the sea. Witnessing a sunset here is as vivid and magical as the sunsets you’ll find on Santorini. You will be mesmerised by the blankets of reds and oranges that engulf the temple as the sun descends. If you can spare around five hours during your visit to Athens, we highly recommend this experience.
Opting for a private driver is the most time efficient way of reaching this archaeological site. We invited Aris Biliktsis to join our Agora, as he and his team offer one of the most competitively priced, well planned itineraries, that allows the perfect amount of time to explore and enjoy the sunset, without feeling rushed. Best of all, there are no minimum group sizes, you simply pay per vehicle. This means you’re at liberty to change the itinerary to suit you. You may only have 3 or 4 hours up your sleeve, Aris is only too happy to accomodate.
- 6:00pm pick up from your hotel
- 7:15pm arrive at Cape Sounio to explore and watch the sunset
- 8:45pm dinner or light meal or no meal, you choose!
- 10:00pm depart for Athens
- 11:00pm drop off to your hotel
- *Times may vary slightly depending on traffic conditions
- *Times are based on summer sunset times, these will vary throughout the year. If you wish to request a different pick-up/start time, please detail your request in the notes section of the booking form.
- *Price is based on a per vehicle basis. It is not calculated by the hour or by person, meals are not included. Reducing the hours does not alter the price.
Your Cape Sounio private transfer at a glance
- * English speaking professional drivers
- * Transfer by Mercedes Taxi sedan, mini-van, mini-bus or S-Class limousine as per your booking requirements
- * Fuel & toll expenses included
- * All taxes included
- * Guaranteed on time pick up and drop off
- * Mineral water provided during your transfer
- * Wifi available in all vehicles
- * Child safety seats are available on request
What we loved:
The unbelievable sunset shots we were able to capture. As permanent city dwellers, we found this afternoon excursion incredibly restorative. Dinner at the suggested seaside taverna, beneath the glow of the Temple of Poseidon, was a real highlight.
Why Athens Tips:
Don’t forget your sunglasses! Wear comfortable walking shoes as there is an ascent up to the archaeological site with areas of rocky terrain. We would rate this walk as low to medium intensity so you don’t need to be super fit. Serious photographers should bring a tripod. There is a kiosk at the landing below the temple that serves light refreshments.
- * 185 euros Up to 4 passengers – Mercedes ‘yellow taxi’ Sedan
- * 250 euros Up to 7 passengers – Mercedes ‘Viano’ or ‘Vito’ Mini-Van
- * 330 euros Up to 3 passengers – Mercedes S- Class Limousine
- * 379 euros Up to 10 passengers – Mercedes ‘Sprinter’ Mini-Bus
Your driver will not accompany you into the archaeological site of the Temple of Poseidon, he will wait for you in a designated area. If you would like a guided tour of the archaeological site, Aris and his team can arrange for a state-licensed guide, for an additional charge of 150 euros.
According to Greek law, only a licensed guide is allowed to take you to into an archaeological site, church, museum or around monuments. Licensed and accredited guides in Greece undergo extensive study and training.
Important booking information
Your driver can recommend places to eat in close proximity to the Temple of Poseidon depending on what you’re in the mood for (seafood, meat, coffee and sweets). You are not obliged to eat at any of these venues and drivers do not receive any financial rewards from any of these restaurants, they are simply motivated to please you! You can email us at [email protected] for suggestions to places we like to eat near Cape Sounio.
- * You may cancel your reservation without penalty up to 48 hours before the scheduled transfer date
- * If you cancel 24 hours before the scheduled date of transfer, 50% of the amount will be refunded
- * Cancellation less than 24 hours does not entitle you to a refund
- * In the event that you do not honour your reservation and not inform Aris of a cancellation, the full transfer fee will be charged
- * Entrance fee to the archaeological site (entrance fees are approximately 4-8 euros per person)
* Gratuities (optional)
- * Meals
* Personal expenses