PRIVATE GROUP TOUR OF THE ACROPOLIS + ANCIENT AGORA
€59 per person
Sun, Tues, Thurs
Starts at 10:00am
What you'll see:
Acropolis • Areopagus Hill • Anafiotika • Ancient Agora • Temple of Hephaestus • Stoa of Attalos • Small groups of no more than 10 • For an in-depth understanding of the ancient city of the Acropolis
First timers to the city should start here for an in-depth introduction to two of Athens most iconic sites. Blending mythology with a historical narrative, this four-hour guided tour explores the ancient sanctuary of the Acropolis along with the Ancient Agora.
What you can expect
Your expert guide will open up the world of antiquity through ancient Greek mythology and the stories of gods and heroes, cults and rituals. Beginning at the Acropolis, the citadel that was constructed in the 5th century BC, you will explore the ambitious building projects that were erected as an expression of power and victory in the ancient world.
From the Propylaea, Erechtheon, Temple of Athena Nike to the towering columns of the Parthenon, your archaeological guide will enlighten you with an in-depth narrative to these ancient structures and how they came to influence Western civilisation.
At this highest point in Athens, your experience is enriched with the mesmerising views that stretch out past the vast city sprawl, towards the Aegean Sea.
As you make your descent down the Acropolis towards the Ancient Agora, you will visit Areopagus Hill, another important hill to climb in Athens, where the Apostle Paul converted his first Athenian nobleman, Dionysius the Areopagite, to Christianity and where a court deliberated on murders and other serious crimes in classical times, before reaching the picturesque neighbourhood of Anafiotika in Plaka.
In the wide-open space of the Ancient Agora you will find the remains of a law court, gymnasium, temples and “stoas”, and a city that planted the ideals of citizenship, political consciousness and the foundations of democracy. Your guide will lead the way sharing the stories of what was once the heart of ancient Athens, a thriving hub of political and social activity and where everyone from philosophers and priests to politicians and prostitutes crossed paths.
You will finish the tour at the Stoa of Attalos, where your guide will leave you for further independent exploration.
WHAT WE LOVED
* Fascinating insights you won’t read about in guide books. This tour offers a detailed narrative covering history, architecture, ancient and modern city life in Athens, without feeling like information overload.
* Each tour has a maximum of 10 people participating which makes for a great social experience
* Ideal for singles, couples or families, with or without children
WHY ATHENS TIPS
* Wear comfortable walking shoes as there is an ascent up to the archaeological site. We would rate this walk as low to medium intensity, you don’t need to be super fit. Don’t forget your sunglasses, sunscreen and a good hat during summer.
* There is a kiosk at the entry below the Acropolis that serves drinks and light refreshments. You are only allowed to enter the site with water.
* Persons 11 years of age and older: €59 per person
* Children between 6 and 10 years of age: €25 per person
* Kids under 6 years of age go free
* If you would like to organise this tour as a private group from 2 - 12 people or on a different day of the week, get in touch with us and email us your requirements at: [email protected] or via the ‘Live Chat’ panel below.
- * Entrance fees to archaeological sites are payable to your guide on the day. Standard rates are charged, as issued by the Ministry of Culture.
- * Gratuities (optional)
- * Personal expenses
- * This tour operates every Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday morning, starting at 10:00am. Details of the meeting point will be sent to you after you have made your booking
- * This tour is semi-private, where you will participate in a group size of no more than 10 people in total
- * All taxes are included in the price
- * In case of rain, you will be notified about any changes to your scheduled walk
- * According to Greek law, only a licensed tour guide is allowed to take you to into an archaeological site, a church, museum or around monuments. Licensed and accredited guides in Greece undergo extensive study and training.
- * You may cancel your reservation without penalty up to 72 hours before the scheduled tour date
- * If you cancel up to 48 hours before the scheduled tour date, 50% of the amount will be refunded
- * Cancellation within 48 hours before the tour start time does not entitle you to a refund
- * In the event that you do not honour your reservation and not inform us of a cancellation, the full tour fee will be charged.
- * Tours do not operate on Christmas Day, 26th December, Easter Sunday and national holidays.
- * This tour is independently run by a professionally licensed third party operator that we have carefully selected. The operator of the tour will contact you to organise your meeting point and start time closer to the date of the tour