THE HILLS OF ATHENS + ANAFIOTIKA GUIDED TOUR
€49pp all inclusive
Mon, Wed & Fri
Starts at 10:00am
There are many hills to climb in Athens, each offering magnificent views of the city stretching out to the Port of Piraeus and the Aegean Sea. If you’re an avid explorer or history buff, this tour will give you an opportunity to take in Athens from above whilst you soak up fascinating historical insights.
What you can expect
Your walking route will take you through the picturesque neighbourhood of Anafiotika that lies at the base of the north-east side of Acropolis Hill. Lazy bougainvillea slouch over white-washed and traditionally painted homes, giving the area an island like atmosphere.
As you follow the ancient pathways, you’ll reach Areopagus Hill, which in classical times, was used as a court to deliberate on murders and other serious crimes. In the year 51AD, the Apostle Paul delivered his speech here of the Unknown God, converting his first Athenian nobleman, Dionysius the Areopagite, to Christianity.
The tour moves on to nearby Pnyx, the hill that was one of the earliest and most important sites in the creation of democracy. It overlooks the Ancient Agora, directly to the west of the Acropolis and offers spectacular visibility both day and night.
Your final hill to climb is Philopappos Hill, also known as the Hill of the Muses. When you reach the top, you will feel like you can touch the Acropolis. The hill is dedicated to Julius Antiochus Philopappos, a prominent Roman consul and administrator in 114AD.
Your walking tour ends along the cobblestone street of Dionysiou Areopagitou Street, known as the most expensive in Athens and certainly one of the most beautiful. Here you can admire the Acropolis from a different angle and take a look at the iconic ancient theatre, Odeon of Herodes Atticus that is still used for outdoor performances during the summer season.
This semi-private tour is one of our favourite walks, that allows you to explore Athens amongst its natural beauty and offers idyllic vantage points to truly appreciate the magnificence of this city.
There are no entrance fees to any of these hills.
You can book a private pick up to transfer you to or from the port of Piraeus or Athens International Airport if required. (A separate booking is required and we will manage both for you, to co-ordinate with your tour times).
WHAT WE LOVED
* Each tour has a maximum of 10 people participating which makes for a great social experience
* Ideal for singles, couples or families, with or without children
* The detailed historical narrative and the beautiful nature walk as you ascend these hills
* These hills provide for some of the best photography opportunities in Athens
WHY ATHENS TIPS
* Wear comfortable walking shoes to walk up and down theses hills. We would rate this walk as low to medium intensity, you don’t need to be super fit.
* Bring a bottle of water, camera gear and don’t forget your sunglasses, sunscreen and a good hat during summer.
* Persons 11 years of age and older: €49 per person
* Children between 6 and 10 years of age: €25 per person
* Kids under 6 years of age go free
* If you would like to organise this tour as a private group from 2 - 12 people or on a different day of the week, get in touch with us and email us your requirements at: [email protected] or via the ‘Live Chat’ panel below.
- * Gratuities (optional)
- * Refreshments
- * Personal expenses
- * This tour operates every Monday, Wednesday & Friday morning, starting at 10:00am. Details of the meeting point will be sent to you after you have made your booking
- * This tour is semi-private, where you will participate in a group size of no more than 10 people in total
- * All taxes are included in the price
- * In case of rain, you will be notified about any changes to your scheduled walk
- * According to Greek law, only a licensed tour guide is allowed to take you to into an archaeological site, a church, museum or around monuments. Licensed and accredited guides in Greece undergo extensive study and training.
- * You may cancel your reservation without penalty up to 72 hours before the scheduled tour date
- * If you cancel 48 hours before the scheduled tour date, 50% of the amount will be refunded
- * Cancellation 24 hours before or less does not entitle you to a refund
- * In the event that you do not honour your reservation and not inform us of a cancellation, the full tour fee will be charged.
- * Tours do not operate on Christmas Day, 26th December, Easter Sunday and national holidays.
- * This tour is independently run by a professionally licensed third party operator that we have carefully selected. The operator of the tour will contact you to organise your meeting point and start time closer to the date of the tour