HALF DAY WALKING TOUR IN ATHENS – SOLDIERS, SANCTUARIES & OLYMPIANS
Small Groups from €85 per person
What you'll see:
Hadrians Arch • Temple of Olympian Zeus • Panathenaic Stadium • National Gardens • Syntagma Square • Changing of the Guards • Zappeion • Trilogy of Athens
If you’ve already climbed to the top of the the Acropolis, this is one of our favourite morning or afternoon strolls, that captures the many cultural and historical layers of Athens in four hours, enhanced with the knowledge and guidance of a private guide.
What you can expect
You'll meet your guide outside the ‘Trilogy of Athens’ and start your tour at the Neoclassical heart of Athens. Your next stop is just down the road at Syntagma Square where you’ll walk across to Hellenic Parliament to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and witness the Changing of the Guard, where the elite soldiers of the Greek Army undertake a ceremonial handover of their duties. A short walk away and you will enter the beautiful grounds of the National Gardens, a hidden oasis away from the hustle and bustle of the city spread over 24 hectares that was established by Queen Amalia in the nineteenth century. The gardens house 500 different plant species and varieties with over 100 being native to Greece.
Next stop is the Panathenaic Stadium, built entirely out of marble and where you’ll learn of its significance, not just as the home of the first modern Olympic Games in 1896, but in re-introducing Athens as an independent nation of Europe. Heading back towards the old city, you’ll follow the pathway leading to the Temple of Olympian Zeus where you'll find the colossal 17 metre high columns that were once one of the largest temples ever built in the ancient world, dating back to the 6th century BC.
The Roman Emperor Hadrian was responsible for completing the temple and the impressive gateway Hadrian's Arch is named in his honour, which you'll discover and learn more about. Your private guide will lead you up a nearby passageway into Plaka, the old historical neighbourhood of Athens, clustered around the northern and eastern slopes of the Acropolis where your walking tour concludes in front of the famed Lysicrates monument. From here you’re perfectly located to further explore the old neighbourhood of Plaka or relax in one of the many cafes or restaurants and watch the world go by.
You can book a private pick up to transfer you to or from the port of Piraeus or Athens International Airport if required. (A separate booking is required and we will manage both for you, to co-ordinate with your tour times).
WHAT WE LOVED
* Fascinating insights with a detailed narrative covering history, architecture, ancient and modern city life in Athens, without feeling like information overload.
* A private guided walk lets you move at a pace comfortable to you.
* If children are part of the group, this can be a child friendly walk with lots to keep young children engaged including, Changing of the Guard, the tortoise pond and animal sanctuary inside the National Gardens and the Panathenaic Stadium which is always a favourite with kids.
* Two children per group up to the age of 10 go free* (more info below)
WHY ATHENS TIPS
* Wear comfortable walking shoes! We would rate it as low to medium intensity. Bring a bottle of water and don’t forget your sunglasses, sunscreen and a good hat during summer.
Persons over 11 years of age:
- €70-84pp for 5-6 people
- €85pp for 4 people
- €100pp for 3 people
- €145pp for 2 people
- €290 for 1 person
- Children up to 10 years old go free (up to 2 kids for free)
- 3 Children €30
- 4-5 Children €50
- 6-7 Children €70
- * This walking tour needs to start 30 minutes prior to the top of the hour in order to incorporate the Changing of the Guards. E.g 9:30am for a 10:00am viewing of the guards.
- * All taxes are included in the price
- * In case of rain, you will be notified about any changes to your scheduled walk
- * According to Greek law, only a licensed tour guide is allowed to take you to into an archaeological site, a church, museum or around monuments. Licensed and accredited guides in Greece undergo extensive study and training.
- * You may cancel your reservation without penalty up to 72 hours before the scheduled tour date
- * If you cancel 48 hours before the scheduled tour date, 50% of the amount will be refunded
- * Cancellation 24 hours before or less does not entitle you to a refund
- * In the event that you do not honour your reservation and not inform us of a cancellation, the full tour fee will be charged.
- * Tours do not operate on Christmas Day, 26th December, Easter Sunday and national holidays.
- * This tour is independently run by a professionally licensed third party operator that we have carefully selected. The operator of the tour will contact you to organise your meeting point and start time closer to the date of the tour
- * This tour does not include a visit to the Acropolis