ATHENS IN A DAY – PREMIUM WALKING TOUR
Small Groups from €100pp
What you'll see:
Acropolis • Acropolis Museum • Roman Agora • Hadrians Arch • Temple of Olympian Zeus • Panathenaic Stadium • National Gardens • Monastiraki Square • Plaka • Anafiotika • Syntagma Square • Changing of the Guards • Zappeion
If your time in Athens is limited, or you are wanting to cover the best of Athens in one day, this is an ideal way to explore the must-see sites and landmarks and also get a taste for the modern side of this vibrant metropolis.
What you can expect
Through beautiful cobble-paved pathways you will reach the base of the Acropolis where your tour kicks off with your private, expert licensed guide. You will climb to the top reaching what is widely accepted as the navel of Western Civilisation. Your guide who is highly educated in Greek history and archaeology, will unlock the secrets of this fascinating ancient city. The tour continues into the nearby Acropolis Museum where you can take in this spectacular modern structure, that was designed by the acclaimed architect Bernard Tschumi, offering uninterrupted views overlooking the Acropolis with glimpses of an ancient city below, that can be seen through glass panelled floors. Consistently rated as one of the best museums in the world, you will be guided through must-see artefacts including the original Caryatids from the Erechtheion and the giant pediments that once formed part of the Parthenon.
After you’ve explored these two significant attractions, it’s time for a well-deserved break. Your guide will give you some lunch recommendations according to what you feel like on the day.
The tour continues by foot entering the Roman Agora where you’ll find the Tower of the Winds and Hadrian’s Library. You’ll visit Hadrian’s Arch and the colossal columns of the Temple of Olympian Zeus. The second half of your tour moves to a modern chapter in Athens’ history at the Panathenaic Stadium, where the first modern Olympics were held in 1896. You’ll walk through the gorgeous grounds of the National Gardens and see the Changing of the Guards in front of Hellenic Parliament, that is synonymous with Athens.
Additional highlights include walking through the picturesque area of Anafiotika at the base of the Acropolis, taking in the white-washed houses and island like atmosphere, before moving on to explore the small streets of Plaka and Monastiraki Square.The tour ends at the Lysicrates Monument in Plaka which is surrounded by cafes and shops for further independent exploration and is a short distance from the Acropolis metro station.
WHAT WE LOVED
* Fascinating insights you won’t read about in guide books. This tour offers a detailed narrative covering history, architecture, ancient and modern city life in Athens, without feeling like information overload.
* A private tour lets you go at a comfortable pace. You will skip the crowds at major sites such as the Acropolis, as tickets are all pre-arranged in advance, so there is no waiting around in long lines.
* Guides tailor the information according to your group’s interest and will keep young ones engaged and fascinated with tales of Greek mythology.
* Two children per group up to the age of 10 go free* (more info below)
WHY ATHENS TIPS
* Wear comfortable walking shoes! This is a walking tour so we would recommend this for people and children who are easily able to walk and explore the city by foot for 7 hours. We would rate it as medium intensity. Don’t forget your sunglasses, sunscreen and a good hat during summer.
* There is a kiosk at the entry below the Acropolis that serves drinks and light refreshments. You are only allowed to enter the site with water.
Persons over 11 years of age:
- €70-80pp for 7-8 people
- €80-96pp for 5-6 people
- €100-133pp for 3-4 people
- €180pp for 2 people
- €360 for 1 person
- Children up to 10 years old go free (up to 2 kids for free)
- 3 Children €30
- 4-5 Children €50
- 6-7 Children €70
- Entrance fees to archaeological sites are payable to your guide on the day. Standard rates are charged, as issued by the Ministry of Culture.
- Gratuities (optional)
- Lunch and refreshments
- Personal expenses
- * All taxes are included in the price
- * In case of rain, you will be notified about any changes to your scheduled walk
- * According to Greek law, only a licensed tour guide is allowed to take you to into an archaeological site, a church, museum or around monuments. Licensed and accredited guides in Greece undergo extensive study and training.
- * You may cancel your reservation without penalty up to 72 hours before the scheduled tour date
- * If you cancel 48 hours before the scheduled tour date, 50% of the amount will be refunded
- * Cancellation 24 hours before or less does not entitle you to a refund
- * In the event that you do not honour your reservation and not inform us of a cancellation, the full tour fee will be charged.
- * Tours do not operate on Christmas Day, 26th December, Easter Sunday and national holidays.
- * This tour is independently run by a professionally licensed third party operator that we have carefully selected. The operator of the tour will contact you to organise your meeting point and start time closer to the date of the tour